Saturday, September 15, 2007

Things 15, 16, and 17

Thing 15: Because I read the entries for perspectives on Library 2.0, I had to go back and re-read them and the same thing stood out to me both times that I went through them.
"Librarian 2.0 controls technolust. This librarian does not buy technology for the sake of technology. “Techno-worship” does not exist here. Without a firm foundation in the mission and goals of the institution, new technologies are not implemented for the sake of coolness and status. Technology is put to the test: Does it meet the users need in a new or improved way? Does it create a useful service for putting users together with the information and experience they seek? These are some of the questions this librarian asks when planning for technology. This librarian creates and nurtures a living, breathing technology plan." From my personal experience, people believe one of two things- 1: That libraries are outdated and will eventually become extinct on favor of all information being accessible online and 2: Libraries follow the latest trends and have unlimited fundin to roll back and forth on the trends-tide and to be able to follow with popular, no matter how impractical. I like how this passage explains how all technologies have to be assessed and analyzed to see if it will prove useful for long-term use by library users. I think that more people need to take a step back and realize that the library, while not not out dated and well on the way to extinction, that we actually have to take time and effort and energy to apick technologies that are useful and benefitial for the entire library community.

Thinhg 16- I thought that the usage of the wikis for book lists and reviews was a very good usage of the concept of a wiki.

Thing 17- Even though it took me a while to figure out how to add my blog and link it, I think I did it right. :)

No comments: